These are horrific facts and predictions and EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF. US. can make a difference, so together, on Earth Day, let’s do it!
In Property Management, we see tremendous opportunity for improvement. In honor of our beautiful planet and Earth Day 2016, join us in making a change! Below is a list of things YOU can do as a renter to be a little kinder to mother earth as well as the things WE are doing to be a little kinder as we serve you:
1. REDUCE PAPER: The US consumes 30% of the world’s paper. There’s a LOT of junk mail we get every day. You can stop some of these junk mailings permanently by going to:https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email and opting out electronically for 5 years or print and mail a form to opt out permanently. I just did it!There are other more in-depth methods that aren’t free, but well worth the minimal cost. It is estimated that the energy used to produce, deliver and dispose of junk mail produces more greenhouse gas emissions than 2.8 million cars? You can dramatically reduce your junk mail through the company 41pounds. They will contact dozens of direct mail companies to remove your name from lists, including catalogs you specify. The cost is $41 for everyone in your household for five years. www.41Pounds.org/givingbackYou can also request digital notifications and postings from your landlord or property manager. This will not only save on paper, but on emissions as well.
WHAT ARE WE DOING? Since 2014, Prime Property Management is currently re-designing 90% of our systems to go paperless from application processing to lease signing, to inspections to owner statements to invoicing to postings!
2. UNPLUG: Also called Phantom Power or Vampire Power, appliances and electronics use power even when they are turned off but still plugged in to a power outlet. According to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, these devices may account for as much as 10% of household energy use!
The easiest way to achieve this if you have many things plugged in, use a power strip and unplug the power strip rather than each individual item. This is especially helpful in an office with MANY power drawing devices.
NOTE: We find the majority of electricity abuse happens in units with all included utilities. Even if you don’t PAY for it monetarily, everyone pays for it in the end!
WHAT ARE WE DOING? Prime Property Management utilizes power strips and unplugs them nightly on all non-essential power drawing items.
WATER USE: If you are a renter in an apartment, you most likely don’t pay for water, so it isn’t on the forefront of your mind, but it can be a big problem. If your toilet is running, tub dripping, sink dripping, sprinklers broken, etc, report it. Utah averages approximately 264,196 renters. Can you imagine if every one of those renters were are conscious of all types of water waste?
WHAT ARE WE DOING? Prime Property Management monitors all water bills that are paid by our company on behalf of the owner for increases in usage. When increases are noted, notices are given and maintenance is called to inspect. Fixing leaks immediately helps with water waste and exorbitant water bills.
4. WATER BOTTLES: Water bottle waste is becoming a world-wide epidemic not only because of the waste of the used plastic bottles, but because of the energy and resources required to manufacture them. The statistics on this subject are new and astounding. According to the Pacific Institute, manufacturing water bottles only for America’s consumption uses more than 17 million barrels of oil annually. That’s enough to fuel 1.3 million cars for a year To read more about what you can do and how this impacts our planet, visit www.BanTheBottle.net.
WHAT ARE WE DOING? Prime Property Management subscribes to a water service and we have re-usable cups in the office.
5. EMISSIONS: There are so many options to reduce emissions that if we all took just one suggestion and turned it into a practice, we could make a global difference:
- Accelerate slowly and smoothly
- Combine trips, carpool, ride a bike, walk, telecommute if you can
- Don’t let your car idle if you are stopped or waiting.
- Keep tires properly inflated. This can improve your gas mileage by up to 3%.
WHAT ARE WE DOING? Prime Property Management is in the process of replacing employee vehicles with emission conscious vehicles for company assignments.
Feel free to share some of the things you are doing in your community to reduce the Earth abuse and be more Earth friendly.
If you are a local Salt Lake City, Utah friend, there are several events going on today and this weekend to help with awareness and add a little beauty and fun: