I went trolling through Twitter to see what people thought about living with apartment neighbors, and people don’t hold back! It’s amazing what people do in community spaces; I was blushing, shocked and wide-eyed at a few of the comments. So to help you from being that unsaid apartment offender, and avoid dagger-throwing glances, I have come up with a list of the top 10 most common “no-no’s” of apartment living and dubbed them the “Unspoken Rules of Apartment Living”. If you live in a community building, I bet you are guilty of at least one and didn’t even know it, but believe me, your neighbors despise it!
1. LAUNDRY: If you have a shared washer and dryer, change your loads and do it fast. Nobody has time to wait for the swap. And, if you don’t change it fast, it WILL end up in a wet and eventually sour heap in a random basket (if your lucky) or on the floor.
2. NOISE: Vacuuming, jazzercise, voice lessons (you do sound excellent in the shower), your new thumping base drum, saxophone and all other excessive noise making activities (I’m sure you can come up with more…) should be done between the hours of 9am-10pm. Don’t be THAT neighbor!
3. “TWISTED TANGO”: Let’s be honest, IT’S AWKWARD for everyone on the other side of the wall to listen to that. You know what I mean and you know who you are… Surprising or not, this was by far the number one and most interesting of tweets I found (complete with lots of blushing!).
4. YAPPERS & BARKERS: Just because you have mastered the art of ignoring your yapping dog, doesn’t mean everyone else has. If it barks when you are there, quiet it. If it barks when you are gone, train it. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR A BARKING DOG!!! Be a good dog owner and a great dog owning neighbor.
5. POOP: Just as no one wants to hear your yapping dog, they don’t want to step in the treats they leave. Take a bag, clean it up. They even make fancy bag holders that attach right to your leash!
6. SMOKING: Don’t smoke inside, by the windows, doors, vents, or porches. It’s probably against your lease, you may get a fine, and neighbors really, really dislike it (every type of it). Pick up your butts, don’t leave piles of ashes. Hey… maybe this is a good excuse to quit!
7. DOORS: Close them softly; they didn’t do anything to you.
8. HEAVY FEET: You may not think you have a brick foot, but the person downstairs hears a herd of elephants every time you move.
9. HALL GARBAGE: If you had a fish boil last night, don’t put your trash in the hall, take it out to the dumpster. Halls should smell fresh, not like the fishing pier!
10. PARKING: DON’T park in someone else’s spot and don’t block people in. Everyone has somewhere to be and can’t chase you or your friends down to move your car.
So… Now you know and won’t be caught being THAT NEIGHBOR! I even made a fancy little rules list below so you can anonymously post it at your complex! Stay tuned, next time I’ll share some of the best posts I found while putting this together, it’s a good laugh!